- Relating to or denoting the circulation of bile salts and other secretions from the liver to the intestine, where they are reabsorbed into the blood and returned to the liver.More example sentences
- Bile salts are retrieved from the gut by the terminal ileum, and this enterohepatic circulation is essential for maintenance of the bile salt pool.
- A portion of conjugated and unconjugated steroids also passes into bile, some of which may be reabsorbed via enterohepatic circulation.
- One proposed mechanism is interruption of the enterohepatic circulation of estrogen as a result of reduced bacterial hydrolysis in the gastrointestinal tract.
More definitions of enterohepaticDefinition of enterohepatic in:
- The US English dictionary