Entry from US English dictionary
- Though the title may suggest that this is a book exclusively about Buddhist meditation and psychedelics, it is more fundamentally about the relationship between entheogens and the spiritual journey.
- The tremendous cultural fear and repression focused around drug use inhibits open dialogue about the positive role entheogens can play in spiritual awakening.
- The question I periodically take up with myself: what application might this have to magick that isn't already served by chemical entheogens?
- Example sentences
- During the 1960s he associated with Aldous Huxley and Timothy Leary, and was known for his defense of entheogenic plants and chemicals for religious purposes.
- After his own drug-induced awakening, he surmised that religions may very well have been invented to explain entheogenic experiences.
- I was reading that Demeter is famous for the poppy also, and wonder what kind of drug cults were associated with them, and whether the Persephone story is also allegorical of entheogenic trips, and shamanic voyages.
1970s: from Greek, literally 'becoming divine within'; coined by an informal committee studying the inebriants of shamans.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.