verb[no object] formal
- I'm going to be getting up early tomorrow and entraining for deepest darkest Wales, where I will be spending an extended weekend with family.
- We entrained at the camp & came on to Alexandria & thence to the boat.
- So, on Saturday morning I entrained for Brighton.
Words that rhyme with entrainabstain, appertain, arcane, arraign, ascertain, attain, Bahrain, bane, blain, brain, Braine, Cain, Caine, campaign, cane, cinquain, chain, champagne, champaign, Champlain, Charmaine, chicane, chow mein, cocaine, Coleraine, Coltrane, complain, constrain, contain, crane, Dane, deign, demesne, demi-mondaine, detain, disdain, domain, domaine, drain, Duane, Dwane, Elaine, entertain, explain, fain, fane, feign, gain, Germaine, germane, grain, humane, Hussein, inane, Jain, Jane, Jermaine, Kane, La Fontaine, lain, lane, legerdemain, Lorraine, main, Maine, maintain, mane, mise en scène, Montaigne, moraine, mundane, obtain, ordain, Paine, pane, pertain, plain, plane, Port-of-Spain, profane, rain, Raine, refrain, reign, rein, retain, romaine, sane, Seine, Shane, Sinn Fein, skein, slain, Spain, Spillane, sprain, stain, strain, sustain, swain, terrain, thane, train, twain, Ujjain, Ukraine, underlain, urbane, vain, vane, vein, Verlaine, vicereine, wain, wane, Wayne
- So that would have told you at least one of or both contained entrained hydrocarbons?
- The increased turbulence entrains bedload within the water column and carries it to the mouthbar, where it is deposited.
- Researchers have found that it is possible to use the large capillary pressures that are developed by fluids that are entrained within aerogels to produce an efficient pump that requires no moving parts.
- It entrains more reticent givers and an expanding array of scholarships attracts the attention of students, recruiters, faculty and the envy of competing departments.
- They provided a detailed account of how attentional rhythms are entrained by external rhythms.
- He demonstrated that melatonin synchronized and entrained circadian rhythms and developed a multiple-oscillator model of circadian organization that remains viable and important today.
- Furthermore, lung denervated lung transplant patients, unlike intact subjects, showed much difficulty in entraining their spontaneous rhythm to the mechanical ventilator during sleep.
- Example sentences
- And when finishers sprinkle water on slabs during the finishing process, they cause air entrainments of 12 percent or more to be produced on slab surfaces.
- The geographical scale and rhythms of such postulated multi-species entrainments are likely to depend on the scale and rhythms of the weather pattern.
- The many sophisticated experiments to study its physiology, entrainment, and the molecular mechanisms of feedback loops that exist in bacteria, as well as the clock-controlled genes are explored in detail.
Mid 16th century (in the sense 'bring on as a consequence'): from French entraîner, from en- 'in' + traîner 'to drag'.
French, from the phrase être en train (de) 'be in the process (of), be in action'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.