- A port, city, or other centre to which goods are brought for import and export, and for collection and distribution: Hong Kong has long been an entrepôt between east and west the oil terminal was built as an entrepôt for north sea crudeMore example sentences
- These agreements only served to reinforce the country's primary function as an entrepôt between Western capitalist economies and the Communist countries of the East.
- Ground-nut oil and palm oil were exported from Senegal, and Saigon was occupied after a war with China in 1858-60 as an entrepôt for the import of raw silk destined for Lyons.
- Nuremberg was also a major entrepôt for wine, although its function lay in the distribution of imports, mostly of red wine, from the Mediterranean.
early 18th century: French, from entreposer 'to store', from entre 'among' + poser 'to place'.
More definitions of entrepôtDefinition of entrepôt in:
- The US English dictionary