Entry from US English dictionary
1The production of artistic works intended to enhance or become part of an urban or other outdoor environment.
- The garden will be used for changing exhibitions of outdoor sculpture and environmental art.
- The environmental art, of course, had been conceived with the site in mind, and nowhere more boldly than in those works which required interventions in the architectural fabric of the villa.
- Once a year, the 50 or so students on the environmental art course, which he inaugurated, were sent off into the city to make work outside of the gallery space.
1.1The production of works of art by manipulation of the natural landscape.
- On an even larger scale, environmental art modifies the landscape itself.
- In the 1980s and 1990s, a new type of landscape art emerged: environmental art.
- Pupils at Woodborough Primary School swapped lessons for environmental art activities last week with a week-long event, focusing on art using natural materials.
2The production of works of art in the form of large installations or assemblages that surround the observer.
- For the art collectors, there's an environmental art installation (but I think you have to provide the half acre of land to put it on) and a strange device that projects butterflies that interact with your shadows.
- This ideal would later influence postmodern concepts of environmental art as well conceptual art.
- What is clear is that starting in his early forties, he worked on them for the next thirty-plus years, every day, creating a masterpiece that has become the poster image for the environmental art genre.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: en·vi·ron·men·tal art
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.