(US also epaulet)
- An ornamental shoulder piece on an item of clothing, especially on the coat or jacket of a military uniform: an army greatcoat with fancy epaulettes and brass buttonsMore example sentences
- Look out for shirts with pockets, epaulettes - and especially shirt dresses, which will be making a strong statement this spring.
- Or he would take apart a necklace and use it as an epaulet on the shoulder of a jacket so that the coat would be ‘covered with trinkets and madness.’
- The cuffs were also of the same nature, as were the epaulettes on the shoulders of his military tunic.
late 18th century: from French épaulette, diminutive of épaule 'shoulder', from Latin spatula in the late Latin sense 'shoulder blade'.
More definitions of epauletteDefinition of epaulette in:
- The US English dictionary