Definition of epididymis in English:
noun (plural epididymides /ˌɛpɪdɪˈdɪmɪdiːz/)Anatomy
A highly convoluted duct behind the testis, along which sperm passes to the vas deferens.
- Alongside the testicles are the epididymis and the vas deferens, which make up the duct system of the male reproductive organs.
- The epididymis, rete testis, and spermatic cord were free of tumor.
- During sexual activity, the sperm travels from the epididymis to the vas deferens with other glandular secretions.
early 17th century: from Greek epididumis, from epi 'upon' + didumos 'testicle' (from duo 'two').
- Example sentences
- In the present study, an increased incidence of both cystic hypoplasia of the rete testis and epididymal hypoplasia were observed.
- The testis and epididymal remnant were delivered, and a single epididymal tubule was microsurgically isolated.
- The epididymis is exposed through an incision in the scrotum, and then an operating microscope is used to dissect individual epididymal tubules.
Definition of epididymis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan