Definition of episcopate in English:
1The office of a bishop.
- If the episcopate * as an office * is the problem then what are we saying?
- A person is ordained into the historic episcopate, but does not ‘receive’ it.
- Instead it called for ‘further theological study on the episcopate, focusing on the issues that need to be addressed in preparation for the debate on women in the episcopate of the Church of England’.
1.1 (the episcopate) The bishops of a church or region collectively.
- Furthermore, no single policy emanated from the government because of the individualism of licensors, and of divisions within the episcopate, and between James and the leading churchmen.
- For him, conciliarism was essentially a teaching about the shared responsibility of the whole episcopate, whether gathered in council or scattered in the dioceses.
Words that rhyme with episcopateprincipate • Rupert
Definition of episcopate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.