noun[mass noun] Genetics
The interaction of genes that are not alleles, in particular the suppression of the effect of one such gene by another.
- Genetic epistasis of gene expression can also be considered with large sample sizes.
- For geneticists, epistasis is associated with the limits of the additive model of gene action.
- These results suggest that future genetic models for the evolution of aging should incorporate the effects of epistasis.
- Example sentences
- The results suggested that a minimum of two genes with epistatic effects were involved in the genetic control of cleistogamy.
- Thus, neither allele is epistatic to the other in permitting the occurrence of expansions or contractions.
- Such sites may be indicative of hotspots of recombination or mutation or epistatic selection.
Early 19th century: from Greek, literally 'stoppage', from ephistanai 'to stop'.
Definition of epistasis in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.