Definition of epistasis in English:
noun[mass noun] Genetics
The interaction of genes that are not alleles, in particular the suppression of the effect of one such gene by another.
- Genetic epistasis of gene expression can also be considered with large sample sizes.
- For geneticists, epistasis is associated with the limits of the additive model of gene action.
- These results suggest that future genetic models for the evolution of aging should incorporate the effects of epistasis.
Early 19th century: from Greek, literally 'stoppage', from ephistanai 'to stop'.
- Example sentences
- The results suggested that a minimum of two genes with epistatic effects were involved in the genetic control of cleistogamy.
- Thus, neither allele is epistatic to the other in permitting the occurrence of expansions or contractions.
- Such sites may be indicative of hotspots of recombination or mutation or epistatic selection.
Definition of epistasis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan