- A mammal of the horse family (Equidae).More example sentences
- It is the closest living relative of the domestic horse, and despite a difference in chromosome number, the two species are the only members of the equid family still capable of producing fertile offspring if interbred.
- Like all equids, mountain zebras are polygynous.
- Here I test whether this assumption holds true by analyzing the feeding strategy of various ungulates, particularly equids.
late 19th century: from modern Latin Equidae (plural), from Latin equus 'horse'.
More definitions of equidDefinition of equid in:
- The US English dictionary