noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- An alkaloid present in ergot. An amide of lysergic acid, it has oxytocic activity and is given to control bleeding after childbirth.More example sentences
- The studies reviewed used oxytocin, ergometrine, or a mixture of those drugs administered intravenously or intramuscularly immediately after delivery of the infant.
- Doctors seldom have an important role, except perhaps to provide reassurance, but they may need to administer a uterine contractant such as ergometrine.
- Thankfully, I delivered the placenta without difficulty, or ergometrine.
More definitions of ergometrineDefinition of ergometrine in:
- The US English dictionary