- 1Relating to or denoting plants of the heather family (Ericaceae).More example sentences
- Ledum groenlandicum, Labrador tea, is an ericaceous evergreen shrub of acidic, wet areas common to northern regions of North America.
- The forest ground vegetation is mostly dominated by ericaceous dwarf shrubs.
- O'Connell and Johnston, for example, found that microhabitat characteristics (e.g. presence of ericaceous shrubs or open canopy) had a larger effect on pollination success in the orchid Cypripedium acaule than floral traits.
- 1.1(Of compost) suitable for heathers and other lime-hating plants.More example sentences
- In early spring, apply a top dressing of ericaceous compost to give the plant a boost.
- They arrived very well packed and I've potted them up into large tubs of ericaceous compost since they won't like our local soil.
- Two years ago it was with great difficulty removed from its pot, its roots cut back and fresh ericaceous compost added.
mid 19th century: from modern Latin Ericaceae (plural), from the genus name Erica (see erica).
More definitions of ericaceousDefinition of ericaceous in:
- The US English dictionary