Definition of ericaceous in English:
1Relating to or denoting plants of the heather family (Ericaceae).
- Ledum groenlandicum, Labrador tea, is an ericaceous evergreen shrub of acidic, wet areas common to northern regions of North America.
- The forest ground vegetation is mostly dominated by ericaceous dwarf shrubs.
- O'Connell and Johnston, for example, found that microhabitat characteristics (e.g. presence of ericaceous shrubs or open canopy) had a larger effect on pollination success in the orchid Cypripedium acaule than floral traits.
1.1(Of compost) suitable for heathers and other lime-hating plants.
- In early spring, apply a top dressing of ericaceous compost to give the plant a boost.
- They arrived very well packed and I've potted them up into large tubs of ericaceous compost since they won't like our local soil.
- Two years ago it was with great difficulty removed from its pot, its roots cut back and fresh ericaceous compost added.
Definition of ericaceous in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India