noun[mass noun] Chemistry
A solid compound present in mustard and rape seeds.
- An unsaturated fatty acid: chemical formula: C21H41COOH
More example sentences
- The original rapeseed oil, used as both a lubricant and an edible oil, was harmful when ingested because of high levels of a chemical called erucic acid.
- The seed oil has a much reduced content of erucic acid, which is a long-chain fatty acid that is toxic to humans.
- For both identified QTL, the results showed that the alleles associated with high erucic acid levels are derived from the Sollux parent.
mid 19th century: erucic from Latin eruca 'rocket' (denoting the plant) + -ic.
Definition of erucic acid in:
- The US English dictionary