noun[mass noun] Zoology
- A congenital condition of abnormal redness in an animal’s fur, plumage, or skin.More example sentences
- Occurrences of erythrism have been reported near this Pennsylvania site in southwestern New York and northeastern Ohio.
- Mr. Rowan believed that these eggs were unique and represented the first recorded case of erythrism in crow's eggs.
- Neither erythrism nor melanism seems to occur in eastern birds, but cases of nearly, or quite, perfect albinism have been reported.
late 19th century: from Greek eruthros 'red' + -ism.
More definitions of erythrismDefinition of erythrism in:
- The US English dictionary