- A large, elongated predatory fish occurring in tropical and temperate oceans throughout the world. Also called snake mackerel.
More example sentences
- Family Gempylidae: several genera and species
- For the fish, I used a blend of tropical fish (tuna, swordfish and escolar), which I had bought frozen at my local frozen-food store.
- Often there is escolar, a startlingly oil-rich, satiny white fish that is often mislabeled in sushi bars as ‘white tuna.’
mid 19th century: from Spanish, literally 'scholar', so named because the ringed markings around the eyes resemble spectacles.
More definitions of escolarDefinition of escolar in:
- The US English dictionary