- A small writing desk with drawers and compartments.More example sentences
- A profusion of lamps and candles relieved the gloom, bathing in a pink glow sofas, settees, armchairs, side tables, escritoires, and curios the pair had collected.
- A larger escritoire commissioned by Herbert George Yatman, and widely known as ‘The Yatman Cabinet’, was given (with its side cabinets) by his grandson to the Victoria and Albert Museum in 1961.
- My new room was huge; it had its own little sitting room and an escritoire of warm mahogany.
late 16th century: from French, from medieval Latin scriptorium 'writing room' (see scriptorium).
More definitions of escritoireDefinition of escritoire in:
- The US English dictionary