- 1Better or greater than usual; special: these traditions are of especial interest to feministsMore example sentences
- When building a house or farm especial care should be taken to place it at the foot of a wooded hill where it is exposed to health-giving winds.
- Where life is at stake the evidence must be scrutinised with especial care.
- The sections on stage antiquities and on the Athenian constitution are of especial interest to scholars.
- 2For or belonging chiefly to one person or thing: her outburst was for my especial benefitMore example sentences
- Students and their problems were her especial concern.
- As a Provost and Judge, it is your especial duty to render justice to all, to hear patiently, remember accurately, and weigh carefully the facts and the arguments offered.
- Each member of the family had his especial duty to perform, his particular bags to oversee.
late Middle English: via Old French from Latin specialis 'special', from species (see species).