Definition of ester in English:
An organic compound made by replacing the hydrogen of an acid by an alkyl or other organic group. Many naturally occurring fats and essential oils are esters of fatty acids.
- Fatty acid methyl esters were analyzed by gas chromatography as described above.
- Fatty esters help replace natural esters missing from older, dryer skin types.
- The ester ethyl acetate can be produced using either an organic or inorganic acid.
mid 19th century: from German, probably from a blend of Essig 'vinegar' and Äther 'ether'.
- Example sentences
- In that study it was postulated that the reduction of unsaturated fatty acids esterified in lipids was of no significance as a mechanism of plant adaptation to anaerobic conditions.
- In addition, unsaturated fatty acids esterified in lipids may also accept protons under anaerobic stress.
- Under normal physiologic conditions, the heart's preferred fuels are fatty acids, esterified as triglycerides and lactate.
Pronunciation: /ɛˈstɛrɪfʌɪ/verb (esterifies, esterifying, esterified)
Definition of ester in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India