Definition of ester in English:
An organic compound made by replacing the hydrogen of an acid by an alkyl or other organic group. Many naturally occurring fats and essential oils are esters of fatty acids.
- Fatty acid methyl esters were analyzed by gas chromatography as described above.
- Fatty esters help replace natural esters missing from older, dryer skin types.
- The ester ethyl acetate can be produced using either an organic or inorganic acid.
mid 19th century: from German, probably from a blend of Essig 'vinegar' and Äther 'ether'.
- Example sentences
- In that study it was postulated that the reduction of unsaturated fatty acids esterified in lipids was of no significance as a mechanism of plant adaptation to anaerobic conditions.
- In addition, unsaturated fatty acids esterified in lipids may also accept protons under anaerobic stress.
- Under normal physiologic conditions, the heart's preferred fuels are fatty acids, esterified as triglycerides and lactate.
Pronunciation: /ɛˈstɛrɪfʌɪ/verb (esterifies, esterifying, esterified)
Definition of ester in:
- US English dictionary