- 1A heated chamber in which Madeira wine is stored and matured.More example sentences
- Some of the smaller shippers and stockholders refuse to resort to the estufa to age their wines.
- Special inspectors place thermostatic seals on each estufa, and if the temperature becomes too high the seal is automatically broken and the wine is then confiscated.
- 2US An underground chamber in which a fire is kept permanently alight, used as a place of assembly by Pueblo Indians.More example sentences
- Montezuma placed his sacred fire in the estufa, and warned his people that death would come upon them if they allowed it to go out.
- Each pueblo contains an estufa, which is used both as a council chamber and a place of worship.
mid 19th century: from Spanish, probably based on Greek tuphos 'steam or smoke'.
More definitions of estufaDefinition of estufa in:
- The US English dictionary