noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- A colourless, odourless, flammable gas which is a constituent of petroleum and natural gas. It is the second member of the alkane series.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: C2H6
- It consists mainly of methane, the simplest hydrocarbon, as well as small amounts of heavier, more complex hydrocarbons such as ethane, butane and propane.
- The gas component may be ethane, propane, butane, carbon dioxide, or hydrogen sulphide, but is most commonly methane.
- Some familiar examples include methane, ethane, propane, and kerosene.
More definitions of ethaneDefinition of ethane in:
- The US English dictionary