(also ethmoid bone)
Definition of ethmoid in English:
A square bone at the root of the nose, forming part of the cranium, and having many perforations through which the olfactory nerves pass to the nose: [as modifier]: ossification in the ethmoid region
More example sentences
- The rich vascular supply of the nose originates from the ethmoid branches of the internal carotid arteries and the facial and internal maxillary divisions of the external carotid arteries.
- On each side of the groove the dura is rough, because of its attachment to the cribriform plate of the ethmoid bone and because it is pierced by numerous olfactory nerve bundles.
- At least 1 percent of persons in the population have symptomatic nasal polyps and up to 42 percent may have asymptomatic polyps on careful examination of the middle meatus, middle turbinate and ethmoids.
- Example sentences
- The two frontal sinuses are just above the eyebrows, the two maxillary sinuses by the cheekbones and the two ethmoidal sinuses are between the nasal cavity and the eye sockets, and drain into the middle of the nose.
- Branches of the nasal nerve have been described passing to the frontal, ethmoidal, and sphenoidal sinuses.
- Maxillary and ethmoidal sinuses were normal.
Mid 18th century: from Greek ēthmoeidēs, from ēthmos 'a sieve'.
Definition of ethmoid in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.