noun[usually as modifier] Chemistry
- Of or denoting the hydrocarbon radical —C2H5, derived from ethane and present in many organic compounds: ethyl acetate an ethyl groupMore example sentences
- Industrially ethanol is now mostly frequently manufactured by the catalytic hydration of ethene or by the hydrolysis of ethyl sulfates.
- The free radical of the ethyl group is known to exist as an entity in its own right.
- The authors note, ‘Any of these ethyl esters might be used as an alternative to fossil fuels.’
mid 19th century: from German, from Äther 'ether' + -yl.
More definitions of ethylDefinition of ethyl in:
- The US English dictionary