Definition of eubacterium in English:
noun (plural eubacteria /-rɪə/)
1A bacterium of a large group typically having simple cells with rigid cell walls and often flagella for movement. The group comprises the ‘true’ bacteria and cyanobacteria, as distinct from archaea.
- Division (or subkingdom) Eubacteria, kingdom Monera; this group is sometimes taken to exclude non-rigid forms such as spirochaetes and mycoplasmas
- All protein sequences from 21 complete chloroplast genomes are analyzed in comparison with selected archaea, eubacteria, and eukaryotes.
- Initial sequence annotation has revealed an unusually high number of genes with no obvious similarity to previously described genes from eubacteria and archaea.
- What's more, these origin-of-life researchers suspect that the two major groups of bacteria, known as archaebacteria and eubacteria, originated on two separate occasions about 3.8 billion years ago.
2A bacterium found mainly in the intestines of vertebrates and in the soil.
- Malignancy or another process in the colon can induce sepsis with Clostridium species (especially Clostridium septicum) or arthritis caused by Eubacterium lentum, or it can emerge first as abdominal wall myonecrosis.
- Chlamydiae are Gram-negative eubacteria that replicate strictly inside eukaryotic cells.
- Example sentences
- The eukaryotic nuclear genes are more similar to eubacterial than to archaebacterial homologs.
- In it he stated the principle of ‘irreducible complexity’ and claimed that, amongst other things, the clotting system and the eubacterial flagella were irreducibly complex, and were not evolvable.
- For the purposes of this blog though, it is enough to point out that while Dembski and Behe characterize the eubacterial flagella, a swimming motility system, as an ‘outboard motor’, it is also a secretory system.
Definition of eubacterium in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan