- A North American card game for two to four players, played with the thirty-two highest cards, the aim being to win at least three of the five tricks played.More example sentences
- That's about the only good thing that has happened today, winning four games of euchre in a row.
- And then I'll teach you how to play solitaire euchre.
- I spent many a sunny afternoon in the smoky darkness of a pool hail in a small central Illinois town where wizened men took my pennies at euchre, gin rummy and poker.
verb[with object] Back to top
- 1(In euchre) gain the advantage over (another player) by preventing them from taking three tricks.More example sentences
- The score for winning all the tricks or euchring the makers is 3 points instead of 2.
- If you lose a trick you are euchred; and if you get euchred going alone, the deck scores four points.
- Bushing or Waiting in the bushes is passing when you hold enough cards to make trump, hoping instead to euchre the opponent who picks up.
- 1.1North American • informal Deceive, outwit, or cheat (someone): they euchred Congress out of $50 billionMore example sentences
- ‘He really euchred me there,’ he says with a grin.
- You may recall that he euchred Elizabeth's uncle into visiting a site where his experts said Elizabeth's body could have been found.
early 19th century: from German dialect Jucker(spiel).
More definitions of euchreDefinition of euchre in:
- The US English dictionary