Definition of euchromatin in English:
noun[mass noun] Genetics
Chromosome material which does not stain strongly except during cell division. It represents the major genes and is involved in transcription. Compare with heterochromatin.
- This can be expected, since different chromosomes in a genome can have different organizations of genes, euchromatin, and heterochromatin.
- The wavy line represents euchromatin of chromosome 2.
- Position-effect variegation results from the juxtaposition of euchromatin and heterochromatin by chromosome rearrangement or transposon insertion.
- 1euchromatic adjective
- Example sentences
- This is due, in part, to the presence of large, complex blocks of duplicated genomic sequence at the boundary between centromeric satellite and unique euchromatic DNA.
- In Drosophila, relocation of a euchromatic gene near centromeric or telomeric heterochromatin often leads to its mosaic silencing.
- Numerous genes act to remodel and repress chromatin in heterochromatin and around euchromatic genes during development.
Definition of euchromatin in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.