Definition of euchromatin in English:
noun[mass noun] Genetics
Chromosome material which does not stain strongly except during cell division. It represents the major genes and is involved in transcription. Compare with heterochromatin.
- This can be expected, since different chromosomes in a genome can have different organizations of genes, euchromatin, and heterochromatin.
- The wavy line represents euchromatin of chromosome 2.
- Position-effect variegation results from the juxtaposition of euchromatin and heterochromatin by chromosome rearrangement or transposon insertion.
- Example sentences
- This is due, in part, to the presence of large, complex blocks of duplicated genomic sequence at the boundary between centromeric satellite and unique euchromatic DNA.
- In Drosophila, relocation of a euchromatic gene near centromeric or telomeric heterochromatin often leads to its mosaic silencing.
- Numerous genes act to remodel and repress chromatin in heterochromatin and around euchromatic genes during development.
Definition of euchromatin in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan