A giant fossil marine arthropod of a group occurring in the Palaeozoic era. They are related to horseshoe crabs, and resemble large scorpions with a terminal pair of paddle-shaped swimming appendages.
- Subclass Eurypterida, class Merostomata, subphylum Chelicerata
More example sentences
- Important fossil groups are the trilobites, a large group of Palaeozoic marine arthropods of uncertain affinity, and the eurypterids, Palaeozoic marine forms related to the arachnids.
- Dr Selden said the Megarachne, a giant eurypterid or sea scorpion, is closely related to a creature called Woodwardopterus, from the Carboniferous Period, found in Scotland and with relatives in South Africa.
- The most remarkable example is the three-dimensionally preserved soft tissues of the giant conodont animal Promissum pulchrum, eurypterids and other arthropods from the Upper Ordovician Soom Shale of South Africa.
Definition of eurypterid in:
- The US English dictionary