Definition of evanescent in English:
1chiefly literary Soon passing out of sight, memory, or existence; quickly fading or disappearing: the evanescent Arctic summer
More example sentences
- It was evanescent, fading just as quickly as it had appeared, and translucent to begin with.
- This parallel love story clearly relays the obvious frustration that Noah felt due to his wife's evanescent memory and his tender love for her.
- Next to these markers, family and lived events can seem evanescent, fugitive, and unreal, because memories of them are neither ubiquitous nor collectively shared.
vanishing, fading, evaporating, melting away, disappearing, diminishing, dwindling, shrinking, fugitive
ephemeral, fleeting, short-lived, short-term, passing, transitory, transient, fugitive, momentary, temporary, brief, here today and gone tomorrow
2 Physics Denoting a field or wave which extends into a region where it cannot propagate and whose amplitude therefore decreases with distance.
- Close to the sphere surface, the oligonucleotide interacts with the evanescent field of the WGM, which extends about a wavelength into the buffer solution.
- First, the evanescent field decays exponentially at the sensor surface.
- We performed laser induced fluorescence imaging by exciting the immobilized MBs with an evanescent wave field produced at the silica-water interface.
- Example sentences
- The home we knew has disappeared, and its evanescence only heightens our desire for it.
- Just as dreams do, memory makes me profoundly aware of the unreality, the evanescence of the world, a fleeting image in the moving water.
- Our insistence on evanescence, consciousness and diaphanous impressionism distorts the book that forms in our minds, like the slight misimpression on the pottery wheel that tilts the eventual cup.
- Example sentences
- The evanescently excited fluorescence intensity was measured for a series of samples with increasing IgG concentration in solution adjacent to supported phospholipid bilayers containing Fc [gamma] RII.
- Experiments were performed in a liquid sample cell containing two silica spheres immersed in a buffer solution and evanescently coupled to the same single-mode, near-infrared optical fiber.
- There was pathos in the evocatively dovetailed dialogues with the strings; left-hand chords emerged inconspicuously from tuttis, the melody poised evanescently above.
Pronunciation: /ɛvəˈnɛs(ə)ns/ /iːvəˈnɛs(ə)ns/noun
Words that rhyme with evanescentacquiescent, adolescent, albescent, Besant, coalescent, confessant, convalescent, crescent, depressant, effervescent, erubescent, excrescent, flavescent, fluorescent, immunosuppressant, incandescent, incessant, iridescent, juvenescent, lactescent, liquescent, luminescent, nigrescent, obsolescent, opalescent, pearlescent, phosphorescent, pubescent, putrescent, quiescent, suppressant, turgescent, virescent, viridescent
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan