- 1 • archaic The Christian gospel.More example sentences
- It also follows that Evangelicals believe the gospel - the evangel - the good news of God's mercy for sinners.
- 1.1Any of the four Gospels.More example sentences
- And I have chosen you to preach this evangel, Mr. Beale.
Middle English (in the sense 'gospel'): from Old French evangile, via ecclesiastical Latin from Greek euangelion 'good news', from euangelos 'bringing good news', from eu- 'well' + angelein 'announce'.
More definitions of evangelDefinition of evangel in:
- The US English dictionary