Definition of evening prayer in English:
noun(usually evening prayers)
1A formal act of worship held in the evening: the master read evening prayers to the assembled family and servants the muezzin calling for the evening prayers
More example sentences
- Some of his ‘handlers’ took this as a command and duly murdered the Archbishop during his evening prayers in Canterbury Cathedral in 1170.
- Recently, a visiting Indonesian friend's jeans were licked by our resident mutt, which necessitated a quick trip home for a change of clothes prior to evening prayers.
- The sisters of Scholastica Convent gathered for evening prayers happy to be alive.
1.1(In the Anglican Church) the service of evensong.
- Removal took place from the Presentation Convent, Galway to St. Joseph's Church for evening prayer and interment took place in Rahoon Cemetery following Requiem Mass on Saturday.
- For a while I actually did jazz morning prayer or jazz evening prayer in a little church in New Haven.
- Morning prayer is said every weekday morning, and evening prayer or evensong every night.
Definition of evening prayer in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan