Definition of everlasting in English:
Lasting forever or a very long time: the damned would suffer everlasting torment an everlasting reminder of this evening
More example sentences
- I believed every word that was written in the Vedas about the Almighty, his love, eternal happiness in Heaven, evil, and the torment of everlasting Hell.
- Her arm had everlasting reminders of her problem.
- If society made one small change, we would be living in everlasting peace, with boundless prosperity, and experiencing eternal kindness to one another.
eternal, never-ending, endless, without end, perpetual, undying, immortal, deathless, indestructible, immutable, abiding, enduring, infinite, boundless, timeless
constant, continual, continuous, persistent, sustained, unremitting, relentless, unrelenting, unrelieved, uninterrupted, unbroken, unabating, endless, interminable, never-ending, non-stop, round-the-clock, incessant, ceaseless
nounBack to top
1 (the everlasting) literary Eternity.
- ‘But lord,’ one of the ministers was up on his feet, ‘we are only doing it for you, your eternal glory, your everlasting.’
- We profess, O God, that you are from everlasting to everlasting, that you are changeless and timeless, that you are the same yesterday, today, and forever.
2 (also everlasting flower) A flower of the daisy family with a papery texture, retaining its shape and colour after being dried, especially a helichrysum. Also called immortelle.
- There are literally thousands of different seeds to choose from such as herbs, vegetables, heirloom flowers, everlastings, grasses and so on.
- You won't see a lot of everlastings but the bush flowers are appearing like varieties of banksias and wattles.
- This everlasting provides filler for fresh and dried displays.
- Example sentences
- May the father of all mercies scatter light, and not darkness, upon our paths, and make us all in our several vocations useful here, and in His own due time and way everlastingly happy.
- Grant that they, being here dedicated to thee by our office and ministry, may also be endued with heavenly virtues, and everlastingly rewarded, through thy mercy, O blessed Lord God, who dost live, and govern all things, world without end.
- You will hear everlastingly, in all discussions about newspapers, companies, aristocracies, or party politics, this argument that the rich man cannot be bribed.
- Example sentences
- Our lives and love have an ultimate significance, and ‘we are all heirs of everlastingness,’ so that ‘whatever we do or are furnishes material to the hands which out of perishing stuff create eternal joy.’
- And what does this signify… other than the everlastingness and everpresence of this holy sacrifice?
- Of course, there is nothing new about associating art with immortality: Shakespeare's sonnets do so repeatedly, Donne imagines a poem as a funeral urn, and Keats sees a Grecian urn as an image of art's everlastingness.
Words that rhyme with everlastingfasting, lasting
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.