Bringing strong images, memories, or feelings to mind: powerfully evocative lyrics the building’s cramped interiors are highly evocative of past centuries
More example sentences
- Sarah, 23, aims to bring back evocative memories for anyone with a passion for musicals.
- His powerful and evocative voice and his memory will live on in our hearts.
- I certainly feel he has a way with words and was able to paint some very evocative images, as well explain some dense concepts.
reminiscent, suggestive, redolent;
expressive, vivid, graphic, powerful, haunting, moving, poignant
rare remindful of
- Example sentences
- During the late 1960s, Smithson had created a number of memorable land-based artworks, including Spiral Jetty on Utah's Great Salt Lake and the evocatively volcanic Closed Mirror Square of 1969.
- However, another source of that success has lain in the extent to which organizing among women and Hispanic and black workers has been linked, even if only evocatively, to a larger struggle for social justice.
- The conservative climate that prevailed five decades ago, with the songs and movies of those years - all these are evocatively captured in the letters and the illustrations in the book.
- Example sentences
- Aristotle's Poetics contains a sentence that stands out for its simplicity and evocativeness: ‘Sophocles said that he himself created characters such as should exist, whereas Euripides created ones such as actually do exist’.
- The whir of the machines, the changing tones, colors and degree of focus, the rhythmic progression of frames and the colloquial style of subtitles (with their occasional spelling errors) add greatly to the evocativeness of the whole.
- I use this phrase here only because of its evocativeness and ability to capture perfectly the issues that I would like to address in this paper.
Mid 17th century: from Latin evocativus, from evocat- 'called forth', from the verb evocare (see evoke).
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.