Definition of evolute in English:
noun(also evolute curve) Mathematics
A curve which is the locus of the centres of curvature of another curve (its involute).
- On 22 January 1769 Monge wrote to Bossut explaining that he was writing a work on the evolutes of curves of double curvature.
- He defines evolutes and involutes of curves and, after giving some elementary properties, finds the evolutes of the cycloid and of the parabola.
- Hence a curve has a unique evolute but infinitely many involutes.
adjectiveZoology & Botany Back to top
Rolled outwards at the edges: an evolute shell
More example sentences
- The general shell characters are the evolute coiling and the median keel that is always higher than the lateral ones.
- The second lineage contained A. nitida, which became more involute and axially compressed on the umbilical side, and its first descendant, A. mckannai, which developed evolute coiling and a moderately wide umbilicus.
- It essentially separates early (higher scores) and later (lower scores) representatives of the species, which tended to develop evolute coiling through geologic time.
Definition of evolute in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.