Definition of exasperate in English:
Irritate intensely; infuriate: this futile process exasperates prison officers
More example sentences
- In contrast to his vigour and emotional buoyancy later in seeing off the so-called fuel blockade, this dark episode was equally to infuriate, exhaust and exasperate the First Minister.
- Some supporters have grown exasperated by his inconsistent crossing.
- It's always more complicated than that, as annoying people are known to say with exasperating regularity.
infuriate, incense, anger, annoy, irritate, madden, enrage, send into a rage, inflame, antagonize, provoke, irk, vex, gall, pique, try someone's patience, get on someone's nerves, make someone's blood boil, make someone's hackles rise, make someone see red, get someone's back up, rub up the wrong way, ruffle someone's feathers, drive to distraction
informal aggravate, drive mad, drive crazy, bug, needle, rile, miff, hack off, get to, get at, get up someone's nose, get under someone's skin, put someone's nose out of joint, get someone's goat, give someone the hump, rattle someone's cage, get someone's dander up
rare exacerbate, hump, rasp
infuriating, annoying, irritating, maddening, antagonizing, provoking, irking, irksome, vexing, vexatious, galling, trying, troublesome, bothersome, displeasing
mid 16th century: from Latin exasperat- 'irritated to anger', from the verb exasperare (based on asper 'rough').
- Example sentences
- I exasperatedly remarked that they were a perfect match, they were both aesthetically hideous with horrifically competitive personalities to match.
- The Russians rather exasperatedly denied the story.
- I woke up in the middle of the night with tormentably aching arms and the last threads of a dream in which K had exasperatedly told me to stop blogging.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan