Definition of excavator in English:
1A person who excavates an archaeological site.
- As Mortimer Wheeler put it 50 years ago, ‘the archaeological excavator is not digging up things, he is digging up people’.
- The inscription, found by excavators from Pre-Construct Archaeology on a possible temple site in Southwark, is one of the earliest pieces of physical evidence for the name of London.
- The excavators interpret the site as having functioned in a Cahokia-centric trading network.
2A large machine for digging and moving earth.
- If you haven't already noticed, compact excavators - those mini machines weighing no more than about 6-8 tons - are getting bigger.
- Earth movers, excavators, backhoes, and bulldozers rely on hydraulic fluids to lift, move, scrape, and dig.
- Many excavator manufacturers consider any machine weighing less than about 8 tons to be a compact.
Definition of excavator in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India