Definition of excavator in English:
1A person who excavates an archaeological site.
- As Mortimer Wheeler put it 50 years ago, ‘the archaeological excavator is not digging up things, he is digging up people’.
- The inscription, found by excavators from Pre-Construct Archaeology on a possible temple site in Southwark, is one of the earliest pieces of physical evidence for the name of London.
- The excavators interpret the site as having functioned in a Cahokia-centric trading network.
2A large machine for digging and moving earth.
- If you haven't already noticed, compact excavators - those mini machines weighing no more than about 6-8 tons - are getting bigger.
- Earth movers, excavators, backhoes, and bulldozers rely on hydraulic fluids to lift, move, scrape, and dig.
- Many excavator manufacturers consider any machine weighing less than about 8 tons to be a compact.
Definition of excavator in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.