A person or thing that is excluded from a general statement or does not follow a rule: he always plays top tunes, and tonight was no exception the administrator made an exception in the Colonel’s case and waived the normal visiting hours
More example sentences
- There are a number of well-established exceptions to the general rule and their list is not closed.
- I have a friend and neighbour called Peter Thomson who is an exception to the general rule.
- An exception to this general rule is formed by a cheque which bears on its front the letter R.
late Middle English: via Old French from Latin exceptio(n-), from excipere 'take out' (see except).
the exception proves the rule
- proverb The fact that some cases do not follow a rule proves that the rule applies in all other cases.More example sentences
- That is the one part where the exception proves the rule.
- Regarding the previous posting about the Washington Post OpEd, one could counter with ‘the exception proves the rule’ - wrong.
- Those who did not, such as Desmond Tutu, were the exceptions that proved the rule.
take exception to
- Object strongly to: many viewers took great exception to the programme’s contentMore example sentences
object, raise an objection, express objections; be offended by, take offence at, take umbrage at, resent, demur at, disagree with, cavil at, argue against, protest against, lodge a protest against, take a stand against, oppose, complain about
- While we're no exception, we do take exception to those who think this is the beginning of the end of business on the Internet as we know it.
- The Attorney-General Philip Ruddock took exception to that, and took the rare step of publicly criticising the Police Commissioner.
- He hit her repeatedly on the head with a hammer after she made a throwaway remark he took exception to in a Halifax pub where she had been relaxing with friends.
with the exception of
- Except; not including: all water sports, with the exception of scuba diving, are complimentaryMore example sentences
- The first half was utterly forgettable with the exception of just a few saving graces.
- Same thing happens over here as well with the exception of only a love relationship.
- If someone asks me how to spell a word, with the exception of just a few, I get it right.
- With no one or nothing excluded: almost without exception, all the residents are opposed to this vandalismMore example sentences
- All of what he says about Derrida's thought is, without exception, false.
- Everyone is exceptionally polite, and everyone seems to speak English, without exception very good English.
- If one whole side on any issue chooses almost without exception to remain silent then the discussion simply doesn't take place.