Definition of exception in English:
A person or thing that is excluded from a general statement or does not follow a rule: he always plays top tunes, and tonight was no exception the administrator made an exception in the Colonel’s case and waived the normal visiting hours
More example sentences
- There are a number of well-established exceptions to the general rule and their list is not closed.
- I have a friend and neighbour called Peter Thomson who is an exception to the general rule.
- An exception to this general rule is formed by a cheque which bears on its front the letter R.
the exception proves the rule
- proverb The fact that some cases do not follow a rule proves that the rule applies in all other cases.Example sentences
- That is the one part where the exception proves the rule.
- Regarding the previous posting about the Washington Post OpEd, one could counter with ‘the exception proves the rule’ - wrong.
- Those who did not, such as Desmond Tutu, were the exceptions that proved the rule.
take exception to
- Object strongly to: many viewers took great exception to the programme’s contentMore example sentences
object, raise an objection, express objections;be offended by, take offence at, take umbrage at, resent, demur at, disagree with, cavil at, argue against, protest against, lodge a protest against, take a stand against, oppose, complain about
- While we're no exception, we do take exception to those who think this is the beginning of the end of business on the Internet as we know it.
- The Attorney-General Philip Ruddock took exception to that, and took the rare step of publicly criticising the Police Commissioner.
- He hit her repeatedly on the head with a hammer after she made a throwaway remark he took exception to in a Halifax pub where she had been relaxing with friends.
with the exception of
- Except; not including: all water sports, with the exception of scuba diving, are complimentaryMore example sentences
- The first half was utterly forgettable with the exception of just a few saving graces.
- Same thing happens over here as well with the exception of only a love relationship.
- If someone asks me how to spell a word, with the exception of just a few, I get it right.
- With no one or nothing excluded: almost without exception, all the residents are opposed to this vandalismMore example sentences
- All of what he says about Derrida's thought is, without exception, false.
- Everyone is exceptionally polite, and everyone seems to speak English, without exception very good English.
- If one whole side on any issue chooses almost without exception to remain silent then the discussion simply doesn't take place.
Words that rhyme with exceptionconception, contraception, deception, inception, interception, misconception, perception, reception
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.