- 1Unusual; not typical: late claims will only be accepted in exceptional circumstancesMore example sentences
unusual, uncommon, abnormal, atypical, extraordinary, out of the ordinary, out of the way, rare, singular, unprecedented, unexpected, surprising; strange, odd, queer, bizarre, freakish, anomalous, peculiar, inconsistent, deviant, divergent, aberrant, unheard of; British out of the common• dated seldom• rare unexampled
- It can only be displaced by unusual or exceptional circumstances.
- While superficially complex, this was not an exceptional case.
- There are rare and exceptional circumstances in existence in this case.
- 1.1Unusually good; outstanding: a child of exceptional abilityMore example sentences
outstanding, extraordinary, remarkable, unusually good, special, especial, excellent, phenomenal, prodigious; unequalled, unparalleled, unrivalled, unsurpassed, unsurpassable, unexcelled, peerless, matchless, second to none, in a league of their own, first-rate, first-class, of the first order, of the first water
- Some autistic children show, at an unusually early age, exceptional abilities in music, graphic art or arithmetic.
- The Savage bolt action has always provided outstanding accuracy and exceptional value for the money.
- She also had the exceptional ability to recall vividly small incidents in her life, and recount them without any exaggeration.
noun(usually exceptionals) Back to top
- An item in a company’s accounts arising from its normal activity but much larger or smaller than usual. Compare with extraordinary.More example sentences
- This drop in operating profit caused pre-tax profit before accounting for exceptionals to fall from a profit of £59.1m last year into a loss of £2m this time.
- The local management is hoping for a better full year out-turn than last year, but it is not stated whether this is before or after exceptionals are taken into account.
- For the six months to June 30, analysts are forecasting pre-tax profits before exceptionals of £13.6m against £12.1m last time, with earnings per share of 20.8p, and dividend per share of 11.9p.
- More example sentences
- But the only exceptionality that really matters-since all nations are in their way sui generis-is the configuration that has founded its global hegemony.
- So then we have a comedic genre whose best work exemplifies the genre itself, and a science fiction genre whose best work is based on exceptionality from the genre.
- But the story of the asylum seekers in Papua and New Guinea is also relevant because it demonstrates the exceptionality of the present.