noun (plural excisemen)British • historical
- An official responsible for collecting excise duty and preventing infringement of the excise laws (especially by smuggling).More example sentences
- Nicholas Saunderson's father was an exciseman, meaning that he was a government officer who collected taxes imposed on goods.
- In the late 1820s, the soldiers were used to supplement excisemen in the suppression of whisky smuggling in the district.
- They immediately claim that they are trying to rake cheese - the reflection of the moon - from the pond and the excisemen, amused by the apparently simple-minded rustics, leave them to it.
More definitions of excisemanDefinition of exciseman in:
- The US English dictionary