- Characterized by, causing, or constituting excitation: the excitatory action of these impulsesMore example sentences
- Neurosteroids can therefore alter neuronal excitability very rapidly by binding to receptors for inhibitory or excitatory neurotransmitters at the cell membrane.
- The NMDA receptor is activated by glutamate, the primary excitatory neurotransmitter in the brain.
- The parasympathetic nervous system is excitatory and results in the contraction of smooth muscle, whereas the sympathetic system inhibits smooth muscle in the digestive system.
More definitions of excitatoryDefinition of excitatory in:
- The US English dictionary