- A person who interprets text, especially scripture.More example sentences
- Though the exegetes believed the texts were records of eternal truth, the ritual manuals and Upanisadic treatises were compiled over a vast period of time - possibly more than a millennium.
- Since the opponents argument depended on Scripture, Paul - an expert exegete - replied in kind.
- Blaser's text is an exegete's paradise, or nightmare, simply because both theological and dramatic certainties are so difficult to distill from it.
mid 18th century: from Greek exēgētēs, from exēgeisthai 'interpret'.
More definitions of exegeteDefinition of exegete in:
- The US English dictionary