noun (plural exempla /-plə/)
- An example or model, especially a story told to illustrate a moral point.More example sentences
- In keeping with his preface to the story, Dioneo's summing up seems deliberately to discourage any reading of the story as an exemplum, much less as a model for relationships between men and women.
- The odor of public corruption that surrounded the Gasthuis land affair lent it particular force as a moral exemplum.
- Kent examines popular works read by Florentines of all social levels, including vernacular scrapbooks and miscellanies, poetry, devotional manuals and moral exempla, civic traditions, histories, and ethnographies.
More definitions of exemplumDefinition of exemplum in:
- The US English dictionary