Used as a stage direction in a play to indicate that a group of actors leave the stage: exeunt Hamlet and Polonius
More example sentences
- The odds at present on the final outcome must be that there will be a dramatic ending with Microsoft upstaged: exeunt WinCo left, and AppCo right.
- Having decided that he has expressed himself fully, Budd concludes three decades of musical activity with a glorious exeunt that crystallizes his body of work into a singular, magnificent statement.
- I love thee. (music ends, exeunt all but TIAGO, CELIA, and CHRISTOPHERO) Meet me at the riverbank in five days, dear Celia!
- Used to indicate that all the actors leave the stage.Example sentences
- That classic Shakespearean stage direction, exeunt omnes, or ‘everybody leaves’, includes another form of the same word.
- ‘My lady, I believe it's time for exeunt omnes.’
Late 15th century: Latin, literally 'they go out', third person plural present tense of exire.
Definition of exeunt in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.