- 1Have objective reality or being: dossiers existed on almost everyone of prominence there existed no organization to cope with espionageMore example sentences
- In other words, knowledge is always of a reality that exists independently of knowers and perceivers.
- According to one physicist reality only exists because we think it does.
- Again, it is surprising that the most attractive faces do not even exist in reality.
- 1.1Occur or be found, especially in a particular place or situation: two conflicting stereotypes of housework exist in popular thinkingMore example sentences
- This is the situation that exists between Hawaii and the continental United States.
- A similar situation exists in the amount of traffic trying to use York.
- Lastly, we cannot ignore the tensions in the Gulf, where a warlike situation exists.
- 2Live, especially under adverse conditions: a minority of people exist on unemployment benefit alone how am I going to exist without you?More example sentences
- I don't want you to get the idea that I exist on takeaways and ready meals, because I don't.
- We exist on donations and all volunteers are drawn mainly from local churches.
- Are we making it so easy for them to exist on begging that they feel no need to do any work?
early 17th century: probably a back-formation from existence.