Definition of exogamy in English:
1 Anthropology The custom of marrying outside a community, clan, or tribe. Compare with endogamy.
- The practice of clan exogamy - or marriage outside of the clan or group - is typical, however, of almost all ethnic groups.
- Individual choice is constrained by kin group exogamy.
- These clans maintained strict exogamy, so wives may be brought in from elsewhere.
- Example sentences
- These exogamous marriages introduced the possibility of idolatry and syncretistic practices into the community.
- Rural communities were exogamous, patrilocal, and patriarchal, with newly married women subservient in the families of their husbands until they had borne sons.
- Thus, a caste is endogamous, but all the kin-based units below it are exogamous and follow rigid rules about which clans or lineages are allowed to inter-marry.
Definition of exogamy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India