Definition of exoskeleton in English:
A rigid external covering for the body in some invertebrate animals, especially arthropods. Compare with endoskeleton.
- The trilobites comprise a major class-level clade of extinct marine arthropods characterized by calcareous, multisclerite, dorsal exoskeletons.
- Lobsters, like all animals with exoskeletons, periodically shed their armor as they grow.
- In these specimens the external surface of the exoskeleton is present, unless complete or partial exfoliation is noted.
- Example sentences
- Both have sophisticated recognition abilities based on olfactory cues emanating from the exoskeletal cuticle.
- In this paper we report the discovery of a nearly complete trilobite fossil over 680 mm long that yields a reconstructed exoskeletal length of more than 720 mm.
- They considered the specimen to be testate, but where the cranidium is broken on the right posterolateral corner, there is no sign of an exoskeletal layer.
Definition of exoskeleton in:
- US English dictionary