1(Of a reaction or process) accompanied by the release of heat. The opposite of endothermic (sense 1).
More example sentences
- Sodium hydroxide dissolved into water is an exothermic process, ammonium nitrate dissolved in water is an endothermic process.
- The rusting of iron is an exothermic reaction and this process is used in hand warmers which are utilized in cold regions.
- When fireworks are ignited, the chemical compounds react with each other in an exothermic reaction - releasing energy.
late 19th century: from French exothermique.
- More example sentences
- This is because fluorine generally reacts exothermically to form products with stable C-F bonds.
Definition of exothermic in:
- The US English dictionary