Definition of exoticize in English:
Portray (someone or something unfamiliar) as exotic or unusual; romanticize or glamorize: importantly, the film doesn’t exoticize the East (as adjective exoticized) when class is addressed in the art world, it is often in the context of exoticized poverty
More example sentences
- Reviewers of his novels in India have long complained that his exoticised India-English dialogues glamorise the harsh realities of life in the former British colony.
- Much of that material romanticizes and exoticizes the real pain of social marginalization.
- She criticises the way in which minorities are exoticised by the dominant culture.
- Example sentences
- To reject the exoticization of Africa is to reject a whole world view carefully and painstakingly fabricated over centuries.
- The exoticization of the Orient was part of the discourse of orientalism governing European perspectives toward the East.
- The movie's relentless, transparent exoticization of its subject matter seems disingenuous from the first frame.
Definition of exoticize in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia