- A medicine which promotes the secretion of sputum by the air passages, used to treat coughs.More example sentences
- Despite its broad use in the treatment of cough, multiple studies have found inconsistent results supporting the effectiveness of guaifenesin as an expectorant or cough suppressant.
- Some combine a full range of cold fighters: nasal decongestants, cough suppressants, and expectorants that loosen mucus.
- Medically, basil has been used as a sedative, an expectorant, and a laxative but it is not used much in herbal preparations today.
mid 18th century: from Latin expectorant- 'expelling from the chest', from the verb expectorare (see expectorate).
More definitions of expectorantDefinition of expectorant in:
- The US English dictionary