- 1 [mass noun] Practical contact with and observation of facts or events: he had learned his lesson by painful experience she spoke from experienceMore example sentences
- In fact, my experience on the ground in the region also highlights an extremely difficult road ahead.
- A couple of people on our steering committee had contacts and direct experience with people in Africa.
- Students, as you may already know through experience or observation, do not have much money.
- 1.1The knowledge or skill acquired by a period of practical experience of something, especially that gained in a particular profession: you should have the necessary experience in health managementMore example sentences
- Along the way, your team gains experience and develops their skills.
- How did he gain the necessary experience in public relations consulting?
- We send officers abroad to gain experience and pass that knowledge to the other members.
- 2An event or occurrence which leaves an impression on someone: audition day is an enjoyable experience for any seven-year oldMore example sentences
- All the teachers involved were impressed by the learning experiences of the children.
- One of the most enjoyable experiences was a visit to one of the famous Hungarian thermal bath houses.
- The former maths teacher who grew up on Arran is strong on learning experiences.
verb[with object] Back to top
- 1Encounter or undergo (an event or occurrence): the company is experiencing difficultiesMore example sentences
- About half the people who experience traumatic events and have a diagnosable psychiatric injury do not seek medical help.
- Participants could return after one week if they experienced adverse events or deterioration.
- We will experience events reflecting the inner world to match the outer.
- 1.1Feel (an emotion or sensation): an opportunity to experience the excitement of New YorkMore example sentences
- These were living, breathing souls who could experience pain and emotions just as well as we can!
- We intend to provide an opportunity for others to experience the joy and also comfort our faith brings to us.
- I kept experiencing these sensations of feeling really hot, as if in a fever.
- More example sentences
- No experience can exist without it having some content and without it having some independent existence in the experiencer's mind.
- These are not available to an experiencer possessed only with sense-data and the self-evident truths of logic.
- The mind is the experiencer of suffering, not the physical body.