A person who is very knowledgeable about or skilful in a particular area: an expert in health care a financial expert
More example sentences
- The street was cordoned off and forensic experts combed the area and the club for evidence.
- In every area of life the experts are ready to smooth our path and tell us what to believe.
- He was widely regarded by colleagues as one of the leading experts in his field.
specialist, authority, pundit, oracle;
adept, maestro, virtuoso, master, past master, professional, genius, wizard;
connoisseur, aficionado, one of the cognoscenti, cognoscente, doyen, savant
informal ace, buff, ninja, pro, whizz, hotshot, old hand, alpha geek
British informal dab hand
North American informal maven, crackerjack
Having or involving a great deal of knowledge or skill in a particular area: he had received expert academic advice I have a friend who is very expert at the language
More example sentences
- As if he hadn't heard her, he continued to steer the car, maneuvering it with expert skill.
- Many who do get jobs go into coaching and providing expert advice to elite sports athletes.
- None of this is to deny the importance of forward planning based on expert knowledge.
skilful, skilled, adept, accomplished, talented, fine;
master, masterly, brilliant, virtuoso, bravura, magnificent, marvellous, wonderful, outstanding, great, exceptional, superlative, formidable, excellent, dazzling, first-class, first-rate, elite, superb;
proficient, good, able, apt, capable, competent, clever;
experienced, practised, qualified, knowledgeable, well versed;
deft, dexterous, adroit;
French au fait
informal wizard, ace, stellar, class, crack, top-notch, out of this world, mean, A1, demon, genius
vulgar slang shit hot
- Example sentences
- Newcomers to the field who regarded me with affection faced an additional deterrent to challenging my expertness: they feared hurting my feelings as well as earning my disapproval.
- Be it knowledge or skills, the general counseling training and experience of the addictions counselor constitutes another source of expertness.
- Civil-political rights and economic-social rights demand very different kinds of expertness and methodologies for research and missions and lobbying.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.