Definition of explain oneself in English:
1Expand on what one has said in order to make oneself clear.
- Many of them had a hard time developing clear arguments, explaining themselves fully, and understanding their own situation.
- It had no caption or explanation following it, yet the pictures were not clear enough to explain themselves.
- I have a lot more detailed information to this case but I would need to speak to someone person to person and have time to explain myself more clearly.
1.1Excuse or justify one’s motives or conduct: he was too panicked to stay and explain himself to the policeman
More example sentences
- My students feel they want to explain themselves and justify their ordinariness.
- Workers should be given an opportunity to explain themselves at a properly conducted meeting before decisions are made.
- If the Prime Minister refused to explain himself over the war, his conduct would be judged at the ballot box, he added.
Definition of explain oneself in:
- US English dictionary